Here are some of the top video game and esports headlines this week and looking into the future! ICYMI is posted once a week on Thursday morning and will start playing over the air at the same time. Tune in for the latest updates throughout the day!
Gaming News And Updates
Top and Bottom Games of 2017
- Well, in case you missed it, 2017 is officially over, Happy New Year! 2017 wasn’t all bad and to prove it, Amazon has published their top selling games of the year. Topping the list this year is Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Call of Duty WWII, and Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon. We know you guys were enjoying those games because you bought them. We asked you on Twitter and the vote was split! 50% for Super Mario Odyssey and 50% for PUBG!
- Speaking of the best games, Screen Rant also helped remind us that we’re happy it is finally 2018 by making a list of the most disappointing games of 2017. Making it to the top, or bottom, of that list is Star Wars: Battlefront II. Unfortunately for EA, they had a rough year. Other games on the list include Mass Effect: Andromeda, 1-2-Switch, Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, Mario Party: The Top 100, and Middle-Earth: Shadow of War.
- After that, if you need anything more to be excited about, here are some of the most anticipated games of 2018. Red Dead Redemption 2, Metroid Prime 4, Anthem, Far Cry 5, God of War, Sea of Thieves, and Kingdom Hearts 3 are all slated to be released in the next 12 months.
Games Breaking Records
- PlayerUnknown’s Battleground breaks their own record with over 3 million concurrent players on Steam. This is a pretty monumental feat as they are also competing with some other very popular games like Fortnite which is in the same Battle Royale genre. Along with their success, the CEO of PUBG, Chang Han Kim said in an interview that “the final goal would be to launch the title on every platform”. Right now you have to be on PC or Xbox One to enjoy PUBG but anyone with a Playstation may be able to play soon. But probably not too soon as Kim said they need to evaluate and complete the Xbox One version first.
- And in more record breaking news, Rocket League has surpassed 40 million players. Congratulations to Psyonix for what started out as an indie title to reach such heights. Check out more at Seasoned Gaming.
Overwatch And Fortnite See Updates
- Overwatch‘s Winter Wonderland has come to a close, but their next event is right around the corner. The Lunar New Year event, Year of the Dog, is scheduled to start in early February with Overwatch Uprising and Blizzard World to start shortly after.
- The latest Fortnite: Battle Royale update also just went live. This patch adds the brand new silenced pistol as well as readies the game for a new game mode, “Sneaky Silencers”, which is going live January 5th.
Real World Gaming News
- Tyler Barriss of Los Angeles has been arrested and will remain in jail without bail until he is transported to Wichita Kansas in regards to the swatting death of Andrew Finch. According to CNN, he is being charged with felony false alarm. Due to the reckless actions of this man, an innocent life was lost. Hopefully justice is served in this situation and people will stop seeing this as a funny prank. It needs to be stopped.
- The World Health Organization will list “Gaming disorder” and “Hazardous gaming” as health disorders in its International Compendium of Diseases this year reports IGN. Gaming disorder could well be seen as linked to controversy around loot boxes and what constitutes gambling in gaming. Hazardous gaming is reminiscent of cases where individuals have died after extreme gaming sessions. Both disorders are currently part of a draft of the Compendium update, meaning their specifics could change before publication.
*Disclosure: This article uses Amazon Affiliate referral links.